Below WSA Terms and Conditions apply for WSA Call 2019. Please get in touch for with WSA office on questions regarding WSA Terms and Conditions for WSA Call 2019.
1 | GENERAL CONTEST RULES
- The World Summit Award (WSA) looks for digital applications that have a strong impact on society in one of the 8 WSA categories. WSA focusses on content depth, strategic value and local impact of a product.
- By submission of a project, producers accept the rules of the WSA contests as stated on this page.
- All submitters to the WSA have to abide by the rules and regulations mentioned in the UN Declaration on Human Rights. Submissions therefore which encourage war, the exercise of violence, fraud, racism or discrimination will not be accepted and eliminated. Similarly, submissions that violate international copyright provisions will be excluded.
- WSA cannot be held liable for accepted submissions and their contents and rights.
2 | WHO CAN APPLY?
- WSA is open to any company, organisation or individual in any UN and UNESCO member state.
- The participation in the WSA Young Innovators is restricted to any entrepreneur, company, student group or project team, where at least one of the founding members and the majority of the team is under the age of 26 (born on or after January 1, 1993) from any of the UN and UNESCO member states.
3 | APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION OF PROJECTS TO THE WSA
- Taking part in the WSA is eligible by being nominated by a WSA national expert.
- The WSA national experts select in a democratic process which solutions will be nominated for each respective WSA category.
- Deadlines for national submission of applications for WSA may vary locally. National deadlines can be earlier than the communicated international WSA call deadline. WSA national experts are entitled to set independent national deadlines for application to WSA.
- Registration, including submitting project information, must be completed online via the WSA contest database in coordination with the communicated international WSA call deadline.
- Submitting a product to the evaluation and selection process does by no means entitle a producer to any benefits. There is no way of challenging this decision legally.
- Only submitted and fully filled in applications will be considered by the WSA Jury. WSA Jury may switch applications to other categories.
- Submission is free of charge.
4 | PARTICIPATION AND SUBMISSION OF PROJECTS TO THE WSA YOUNG INNOVATORS
- Taking part in the WSA Young Innovators is eligible through submission of a project with a clear digital component to the WSA Database.
- Only submitted and fully filled in applications will be considered by the WSA Jury.
- Main team members of the projects submitted must be under 26 years of age (born on or after January 1, 1993).
- Submission is free of charge.
5 | WHICH PROJECTS ARE SUITABLE FOR WSA?
- Submissions for the WSA can contain all mobile and web-based applications, such as: apps, web pages, applications for wearables, kiosk installations, SMS based products, mobile games and interactive mobile productions. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
- All submissions have to be launched products. No drafts, prototypes, demonstrations or unfinished projects can be accepted.
- All submitted products must have been completed after Jan. 1, 2017. For a project or product completed earlier, the submitters have to document significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions have been made in the period thereafter.
- A product can only be submitted for one category. In case of multiple submissions by the same organisation, company or team, each product requires a separate registration. Submissions which have been nominated in the WSA in previous years cannot be submitted again. For a project which has been already submitted before, the submitters have to document significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions.
6 | WSA EXPLOITATION RIGHTS AND COPYRIGHTS
- By submitting a project to the WSA, producers provide the WSA office with the exploitation rights for the submitted videos, pictures and other content for non-commercial use for the promotion of the nominated product, presented in print, broadcast and any other forms of media, as well as for events.
- The producer must own the copyright of all pictures, sounds, contents etc. related to the production of his project. All software used must be licensed.
- WSA has the right to share promotional material and information about the submitted projects with potential investors and sponsoring partners.
7 | WSA CONTEST LANGUAGE
- The interface of the products can be in any of the United Nations official languages. All producer and project information in the WSA Database must, however, be in English. The official language of the WSA is English and must be used in all official communication.
8 | EXCLUSION AND DISQUALIFICATION OF SUBMISSIONS FROM THE WSA PROCESS
- Incomplete submissions and those not following the WSA guidelines will be withdrawn from the WSA selection process without notice. There is no legal recourse possible against the decision of disqualification for the below reasons. The WSA organizers have the right to reject submission / entry without providing any further reason and notice.
- Malfunctioning of the product during the time of the jury evaluation can lead to disqualification. Submitters are held responsible to make sure their products are functioning for Jury evaluation.
- Further withdrawal reasons are: Lack of ownership of creative rights or infringement of copyrights of others; false registration information, non-confirmation to the rules of the contest guidelines.
9 | CATEGORY SWITCH
- The jury has the right to switch a submission from one category to another if the category chosen by the producer is recognised as not suitable. A category switch is the result of a decision by jury members.
10 | WINNERS SELECTION
- The winners will be selected from among the submissions in each category through the jury process as published on the website. No legal recourse is possible against the jury decision.